Friday, February 20, 2009

Idaho track-star excited about Simplot Games

Nicole Nielsen will be giving it her all on the track
by Caitlyn Lancaster


Pocatello, Idaho – Nicole Nielsen, a 17 year-old senior from Boise’s Borah High School, is no stranger to success in track and field. She has already participated in Simplot Games, and has claimed several state championship titles as well.

One might assume that over 2,000 competing athletes would intimidate a small-town girl, but not Nielsen; she sees the many participants as a strong competitive prospect.

“I am really excited; it is an amazing opportunity to see all the talented athletes,” says Nielsen.

As a sophomore and junior she won Idaho state titles at 1600- and 3200 meters. In cross-country, she placed second at the Idaho state meet during her sophomore and junior years.

Nielsen was named Idaho Gatorade Athlete of the Year for cross country last year and was Gatorade Athlete of the Year her sophomore and junior years for track, too. Among those accomplishments, Nielsen also ran her way to the Foot Locker Nationals and Nike Nationals last year.

“I never realized how much time and dedication it takes to be able to perform at the best of my ability,” says Nielsen. “It’s not just running, it’s sticking to goals.”

Nielsen is an extremely motivated athlete, and is constantly pushing herself on and off the track.

“I try to be involved with service projects in Key Club, and I love to play the piano,” says Nielsen, who frequently takes part in piano festivals.

She is a firm believer in setting goals, and is always raising the bar of dedication to further her ability. Simplot Games has given this competitor the chance to do that.

“I want to feel good about my races,” says Nielsen. “I want to push myself the hardest I can. I will give it all I have.”

Hard work, dedication, and talent define many athletes, especially this Boise track star. Nicole Nielsen has proven to be a twister of track talent, and will definitely be a force to be reckoned with at Simplot Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment