Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hailey, Idaho’s Chase Caulkins wins 3200 meters at 2010 Simplot Games


by Jason Bohne

Chase Caulkins, a senior from Hailey, Idaho, won the 3200-meter event at the 32nd annual Simplot Games. He won with a time of 9:27.04.

Caulkins broke away from the pack early and never relinquished the lead. Running from the front of the pack, however, wasn’t necessarily his strategy.

“I just wanted to run my pace,” he said. "And no one else was running as fast as I wanted to run."

As he continued to complete the 16-lap event, the toll of the altitude and the pace began to catch up.

“I was feeling the altitude quite a bit with about 800 meters to go,” he said. “I was just thinking, ‘keep going.’ I told myself to keep pumping my arms and keep my legs moving.”

His determination left no doubt to the outcome as he topped second place finisher Steve Morrin of Alpine, Utah, by two seconds.

This was Caulkins’ second Simplot Games. Last year he narrowly missed qualifying for finals.

Chase Caulkins wins the boys' 3200 run at Simplot Games.

Photo by Mike Roberts
mroberts@122bresnan.net

click photo for high resolution image

No comments:

Post a Comment