Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kelsey Brown from Orem, Utah, runs the fastest time in nation for the girls 800 meters at Simplot Games


by Tyler Gibbons

Kelsey Brown, a senior, from Orem, Utah, won the 800 meter event at the 32nd annual Simplot Games. She set the fastest mark recorded in the United States for the 800 meters with a time of 2:11.05 seconds.

“Wow, I like it here,” Brown said.

Brown had to scratch her pre-race plans in the second lap because of an early challenger jumping out in front of the pack.

“I usually like to pick my spot around the 300 meter mark,” Brown said. “But when I noticed how far one of the girls had gotten in front of the pack I just decided to catch her. And when I did I knew I could and had to stay in the lead.”

Brown made her first and last trip to Simplot Games a memorable one.

“I wish I would have come here before,” Brown said. “But I’m glad this is how I’ll remember Pocatello.”

Kelsey Brown wins the girls' 800-meter dash at Simplot Games.

Photo by Mike Roberts
mroberts@122bresnan.net

click photo for high resolution image

No comments:

Post a Comment